Confession

I moved my thumb in an upward motion on the phone screen and more photos came into view on Instagram. One of those caught my attention. Little did I know it was a plunge into the abyss. I was lost in the collection of other photos, 2 blogs, and a Twitter account, to the point of no return.

It sounds crazy how I could adore someone whom I've never met nor interacted with. Granted, it's sheer absurdity to deduce the person's The One, but after intensive inquisition, I feel that we could hit off pretty well. What's needed was to meet up to prove it, or otherwise.

With quivering fingers and a pounding heart, I drafted a message. My thoughts were like stars I couldn't fathom into constellations. I knew what I wanted to say, but I didn't how to translate into words or put them in the right sequence. I wouldn't say it took a herculean effort to finally produce the draft - just had to ensure my thoughts fall nicely into place. I read it once, twice, to check for language errors and any portion that I could omit. The length of the message was to be ideally long enough to show my sincerity but at the same time curtail contents that might invite discomfort.

Thereafter, I sought the opinions of a handful of friends and the contents were revised over and over. It may not be the best draft, but the tone was finally fitting, with intentions clear. Then, I waited apprehensively and earnestly for a reply, if there was even one. I was like a kid looking forward to Christmas, praying hard I was not on the bad list. Only difference was I only needed a message, no need for a physical gift.

It came, but it wasn't the outcome I had hoped for. It's not that I had not expected a rejection, but unrequitedness sucks. You can never be prepared enough for it. The "confession" wasn't whimsical. I could expound on it but it is both redundant and creepy at this juncture.

Given another chance, I still would have done it again. My heart may wrench, my guts may churn, my head may spin, but if we're inexorably not meant to be, I cannot do anything to change it. Honestly though, what are the chances of accepting a stranger that randomly pops up in your DM? I would love to have been asked some questions at least, but it was a very clean cut. If we had the opportunity to cross paths in real life, things could have been drastically different.

Cupid, can you please pull out your arrow?

Comments

Popular Posts