Australia 2021

I remember in Primary 6, the entire class had to give a presentation on one of our most memorable overseas travel experience. Largely due to the unadventurous spirit of my parents, the only trip I had taken then was to Genting Highlands, at age 3 or 4. So that was all I could share, regardless memorable or not. Some of my classmates had already been to Australia. I was envious to be honest, although I doubt they can remember much. I wasn't bogged down so much for not having more experiences, but rather the judgemental look my teacher gave when she said, "4 years old? Don't you have anything more recent?"

Most primary school memories are blurred, but this sure is indelible.

I finally had the chance to visit Australia last month, again thanks to the VTL. I shall talk about Sydney/New South Wales in particular. For NSW, I had to take 4 PCR tests in total. However, the on-arrival test in NSW was free, and the cost of the test at Changi had reduced to $125. I also had to check-in to different indoor venues via a mobile app. Despite all the research, I did not know that an Australian number is required for check-in, so I got another SIM card upon touching down.

The first thing that amazed me in Sydney was their 3-tier trains. I am one who likes peering out of the windows so the bottom-most tier was not for me because whenever the train pulls into a station, I would be staring at people's feet. It rained everyday when I was there, and I read it was due to the La Niña effect. Indeed, the rain somewhat made the trip inconvenient and depressing, and I even broke my umbrella once due to a strong gust but overall it was a good one. The people were warm and friendly, which differed from those menacing rumours I've heard. I'm not negating the presence of racism over there, but perhaps it has been over-amplified. 

The core reasons for visiting Sydney were simple. First and foremost had gotta be the establishment of the VTL. Second reason would be the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. Third and last would be the Blue Mountains National Park. The coastal walk I did from Coogee to Bondi was a pleasant surprise. I will touch more about it later.

Of course, I had seen pictures of the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge countless times. However, being physically there still did not fail to astonish me. It was surreal to see the structures in reality, as if I had been transported into the pictures I had previously seen. I was on a quest to snap shots of the Opera House from different angles other than simply taking the classic one from Circular Quay above the Opera Bar. Other angles were taken from the Royal Botanic Gardens, a spot near The Squire's Landing, as well as from Kirribilli. As for the Harbour Bridge, the view from Milsons Point ferry terminal was excellent, and well as from the Observatory Hill Park. 

I wanted to see the Jaracanda-lined McDougall Street in Kirribilli, but was dismayed to see that the trees were almost bald. The Jaracanda tree bears violet flowers and it would have been a sight to behold if the flowers were blooming. Well, I was not holding a high expectation either, as I reckoned the persistent rain would wash most of the flowers off, which it did. 

There were posters advertising walking to improve mental health. To be frank, I was not sure if the Coogee to Bondi coastal walk healed or tortured me more. However, this is surely going to be a piece of enduring memory and no regrets doing it! The walk started out alright despite light rain and some wind. The beaches were all deserted except for some gallant (crazy) souls who still jumped into the cold water and tried to swim. It was a very quiet walk no doubt, and maybe that's one of the beautiful aspects of it? Just me talking to myself, and the raindrops falling on my poncho. I digress - poncho is convenient but do not buy it. Not only is it not environmentally friendly, you'll feel stuffy because the material is not breathable. I got myself a wind and waterproof jacket, but only after I came back lol. Alright back to the trail. Other than the beaches, one striking place you will see is the Waverley Cemetery. Yes, a cemetery, by the sea. It is fascinating and you can actually go on a walking tour of this cemetery if you are interested - nothing spooky about it. The last quarter of the walk made me so wretched. The strong winds were mercilessly battering my poncho and threatened to sweep me off my feet. The jacket I was wearing wasn't waterproof and my forearms were drenched. Thank God I still managed to complete it, and the weather cleared up when I reached the city for lunch, so I didn't need the poncho anymore.

A day before I returned to Singapore, I went to the Blue Mountains National Park, which is a 2-hr train ride from Central Station. I originally planned it on the second day but the weather forced me to amend my itinerary. It was still overcast the day I went, but precipitation was lower. I did the Grand Canyon trail, starting from Neates Glen parking area and ending at Evans Lookout. The trail brought me across creeks and sandstone walls through lush greenery. It was exhausting and I had to rest 4 times. Many times I looked around and I was alone. It felt like I had the entire park to myself. At one point, I slipped off a log, and dirtied my trousers. I paused to clean myself with some trickling water and when I looked up, a lady was standing in front of me. I quickly apologised and she responded, "I didn't want to scare you". The trail was narrow and she was waiting patiently for me to be done before she crossed - how sweet of her. It was a Sunday and not many buses ran between Blackheath and Katoomba. I realised this upon arrival at Katoomba, but stupidly hailed an Uber back to Katoomba to take the train back to Central when I could've chosen to board at Blackheath instead. Anyway, I had a little conversation with a stall vendor back in town, and he shared that he has done the Grand Canyon trail several times. Impressive - to think I felt like dying during some parts of it. 

I had some really good food although I initially did not have high hopes for the food there. This was another trip that had sharpened my problem solving skills and made me enjoy the liberation of being alone. The next trip will probably be in the second half of 2022 already. For now, back to work to earn my keep! And please let me gain more from investments.

Merry Christmas if you are reading this :)

Comments

Popular Posts