Schools Unlimited

I'm not a fan of Mediacorp television dramas but I think Mediacorp produces some pretty good info-variety shows. Schools Unlimited aired its last episode today. This program features local students who are studying abroad, talking about their journeys and how they cope with life overseas. It provides some insight for students who are also looking to follow their footsteps, and also introduces more about the city/country of study.

Some students are pursuing double degrees which can probably give them a big competitive edge in their future job hunts. On the other hand, there are some who are pursuing less orthodox courses and they aren't even sure what their future holds. Either way, they are doing what they love and are resilient individuals gallantly chasing their lofty aspirations. Case in point, there was a girl who gave up her steady job in Singapore and went to Japan to embark on a voice talent course. To save money, she deliberately stays further away from the nearest metro station, and scrimps and saves even on the foods she likes, only allowing herself a little indulgence once in a blue moon. Pretty sure many inconveniences in life could have been avoided if she had chosen to stay in Singapore. For one, she would still be living with her parents, thus saving on accommodation.

And in today's episode, there was a student who went to UNSW to pursue a medical degree. I was impressed by his command in Mandarin. I say this because he could substitute most of the terms in Chinese, less for some not so commonly used ones such as "clinical study", and he was smooth in his delivery. On another occasion, I was watching some clip of a Taiwanese YouTuber, testing the students' Chinese language ability in NUS. One of those students she questioned was a medical student who was evidently one of those who lead foreigners to believing that Singaporean Chinese do not know how to speak Mandarin - talking in a weird accent and super choppy in speech. Anyway, that student from UNSW has to whip up his own meals to save costs, just like most others. He loves indulging in food and exploring different cafes as well. In light of all these, he has the idea of opening a cafe that serves food fitting for diabetic patients, which is a very thoughtful idea. UNSW might not be as prestigious as NUS but this guy definitely is doctor material.

That day I asked myself why I like watching films and such. The answer is, I get to feel emotions that I hardly feel or experience circumstances that I might never get to experience in reality. I feel touched by certain things one character do or say to another. I can talk about Iceland as if I've already been there. And I will continue to immense in more creative, informative works to be a fuller, richer person.

Comments

Popular Posts