Film: Groundhog Day

That day, I met up with 3 friends and we were talking about films at one point in time. I recounted a time during NS when I had a similar conversation with one of them and another guy. They chuckled when I said I did not know who Woody Allen is. One even sarcastically chimed in, "It's not the character in Toy Story you know?" The fact that I can still remember this incident today is not because I felt offended, but because it was a refreshing conversation that widened my horizons. Also, it forced me to do something silly - looking Woody Allen up and memorizing some of his works despite not having watched any, just so that I do not look completely ignorant.

I was recommended Groundhog Day, and I've finished watching it today. It is a remarkable 1993 masterpiece which I believe is one of the forerunners in employing time loop. It is easy to get emotionally stirred when scenes evince tears or physical pain. There are no tears in Groundhog Day, neither are there explicit images of characters in excruciating pain, yet you are taken on an emotional roller-coaster ride when you put yourself in the shoes of the protagonist. The film makes one reassess life: What can you do to make the best out of each day? How are you going to change yourself and help make this world a better place?

Initially, the protagonist tries to kill himself hoping that he can end the absurdity of reliving the same day. He later picks himself up and starts experimenting and shaping the ideal outcome between him and a girl he loves. He soon realises this is not how it should be done and we see him as a more genuine and altruistic person, transforming from a egocentric jerk to someone who renders help to strangers, shows sympathy, learns how to love a person, and strives for self-betterment. Despite reliving each day and knowing that whatever he has done in a day would be erased the next, he still makes it a point to save a boy falling from a tree, save a man choking on food, stop in his tracks to help with a flat tire... The transitional progress of the main lead is clearly presented and the film proceeds in a good, comfortable pace that shows enough to grab your attention while cutting the excess.

There are no fancy effects and several settings are being repeated, but this groundbreaking film can leave you equally spellbound as those blockbuster Superhero movies if you care to read between the lines and understand what messages the film is trying to put forth. Having said so, Groundhog Day is not a somber lecture, but with appropriate doses of comedy as well. It is a simple, but clever clever film. I hope if you watch it after reading this, you will like it as much I do.

Comments

Popular Posts