SOW '14

Prior to enlistment two years ago, I thought it was perennial before I return to student life. Now the time has come. What will come, will come, whether it feels like an instant or eternity. Have been advised to sign up for orientation camps so as to find companions for lectures and tutorials, and assist one another in studies. But even without this purpose, I guess we can still make some new friends to enjoy life with.
So, Science Orientation Week (SOW) ended last night/this morning. I have been seeing so many photos on social media of friends with their camp mates (in and out of camps) and exclamations of how fun it has been - seemingly BFFs after a mere few days of interactions, everyone being able to talk comfortably with anyone else, engaging in HTHTs, playing group games during admin time... I naturally pictured that as I what I would expect from SOW. We were generally meek and shy, except for Yihxun, who so spontaneously introduced himself to each and every one, before ice breaking even started. On day two, a friend from another OG told me that he felt like going home because there did not seem to be any strong bonds. I assured him that it was only day two and things might turn better. But on day three, I started to feel the same. Everyone seemed to be sticking around with the usual few. We did participate actively in games and give our best shot, and cheered fervently whenever we had to. It's as if we were performers, only together when we were up on the stage putting up a compulsory act or play.
There was a certain point when Jiaying asked me why I did not want to talk around. Didn't really know how to reply her. There were times when I do talk to random OG mates. Say we happened to sit together during meal time, I'll strike a conversation. An example was with Lanruo and Peihua. Everyone can tell that I'm reserved by nature. But often, this impression is so deeply imprinted and misjudged as I dislike social interaction/will ignore people if someone talks to me. What I can say is, between all of us, you don't know me well, and I don't know you well, yet. Just like me and X for example. X is caring, and make both noticed and unnoticed contributions. Say nobody carries the OG flag, she will take the initiative to go and do it. But there was this time when, instead of taking the Sentosa Express, she and another senior decided to walk. I wanted to follow, at least more company, I thought. Alas she screamed to follow the other freshies because we needed to be at the destination "on time". (Turned out that the wait at the destination was pretty long anyway) I mean, sometimes it's just the tone. I meant well, but she probably thought I wanted to create inconvenience or something. And there was another time when someone asked her who she will marry. There were a few of us surrounding her, but she only turned to me and again in that irritated tone, said "Why are you listening?". Screw it seriously, it's not as if I'm adamant to know her reply. But a nicer way to shoo me away would have been much better. And considering I was the only one who got shoo-ed. Insensitivity. Nobody is perfect, but I think that not many people bother to see the good in me. That's why sometimes I wonder what is the point of being good. People harp on good personality, but let's face it, if you do not have pretty face or a good build, you're losing out. A lot. Unless you can bring out your personality super conspicuously. But for silent warriors like me, double disadvantage.
Seemingly BFFs, doesn't really apply to all of us, though we took quite a number of photos. Everyone talking comfortably to everyone else, nope. Engaging in HTHTs, only once - the traffic light. Playing games during admin time, also only once, on the night of day 4. The depression over how not bonded the OG is, reduced during the last few hours of the camp, when we seemed like we actually acknowledged one another's presence, exchanged contacts to want to keep in touch, and took photos to want to remember the moment. Honestly the bonding hasn't been very great, but at least I think there are still chances to improve over the course of next few months. Should keep up the positivity, just like what my OGL Fu En has been doing. Most of the time he was the only one walking at the front as we proceeded to our destinations. Even if he felt lonely, he had no choice because he had to lead. But never had he shown any frustration or ill feelings. And when we playing games, he was the one who introduced two games to us. Seriously kudos to him. Kudos to the OG for winning beach day as well.
Not many people are going night rider. Over 90% are due to valid reasons, I believe. I had a hard time deciding whether to go for it because I predicted that the 2/3 guys will talk among themselves, similarly for the 3 girls. But I guess showing attendance is something good. Even if it's minimal, there will be increased interactions for sure. Keeping fingers crossed that it will be a generally pleasant experience.

Comments

Popular Posts