Toning Ups and Downs

One of my flaws is that I get agitated easily. I need to keep my composure and not escalate in emotions too quickly. I also need to learn not to brood over irritating but trivial stuff. Like cases of people over-reacting or ignoring everyone because he is feeling down or cross, I should just give a roll of the eye at the moments and flush them out of my mind. People can get quirky, so it is okay if they get over the top sometimes. Especially if the someone doesn't deserve you to shower care and concern, why bother trying to appease him. Sometimes there are things you just got to heck it, if not you will too busy caring for others and not having enough time for yourself. Talking about this, a fellow medic wanted to swap duty dates with me. His duty falls on the day right after my field camp plus the other duty personnel is someone I abhor, not to mention we all dislike last minute changes. I gave him a flat no AND sounding polite at the time by apologizing and telling that I will help him next time if possible. He probably didn't want to hear anything from me except for "Yes, I will swap dates with you." Well, heck him. Like what one other guy told me, "Why make yourself suffer just to please others?" So, it was a right decision not to change anything.
Another flaw is that I am not proactive enough. An incident happened and someone got into trouble. Technically it was not my fault but I could have prevented that disaster. Knowing that you had the chance and ability to prevent a mishap and yet you did nothing about it. Yes, remorse gnawed at me, and I have learnt my lesson. Oh yes, and first instincts are the most accurate, most of the time.
Again, I have been splurging. I've met up with those people I should meet, so it's time to cut down on going out. Today is the last day I have good food before field camp next week. It was a lovely catch-up with Chin Foong, a friend who I've not met for around 1 year and 3 months. So the last time we met was when I was still undergoing BMT. Looking back, it has been a long time, yet it feels like time has lapsed so quickly. Very often, we can't wait to buzz out of army but each passing day is a day that won't repeat. So it's pretty sad that while we know that each day of our life is precious, we cannot control the desire to finish serving our term and for time to whiz pass. Splurging can be a heartache but the experiences and feelings you get in return are sometimes priceless. I bought a present for a sergeant whose birthday was yesterday. Was actually excited about getting the present and giving it to him. I guess you'll only feel this way when you genuinely want to give. He has been very nice to me and I felt that I should repay him in some way. One of the few times I feel the joy of giving. I am sorry, yet glad.
It's about time I start hitting my Mathematics notes. October. It's a competitive world and I gotta keep up and be competent. Oh and watching television is actually so much fun. Learning is fun when you are learning things you have an interest in. I have been enjoying watching "I Wouldn't Go in There" and "Ultimate Airport Dubai" on NatGeo. The former is a show where the host, Robert Joe, (a blogger cum writer) ventures into haunted places and uncovers histories behind that place. He says "the fear and superstition always hide a bigger story, a true story". I think this really makes sense. This program aims to find out what really happened in that place, rather than simply reporting paranormal sightings, which can be a thriller but in the end you get no concrete facts. The latter is a program that touches on the challenges that Dubai International Airport faces. As what we know, Dubai is one the fastest growing cities in the world and naturally its airport is becoming busier with the influx of investors, tourists and immigrants. Other than learning pressing challenges and drawing lessons from them, I also got to know more about the job scopes of various staff, planes and their components, etc. One should never stop learning and I should pick up more knowledge and stay informed and relevant :)

Comments

Popular Posts