This Will Pass

A headline in today's copy of Straits Times reads "$848 for an iPhone 5C? iDon't want". A friend, an aspiring journalist, commented "Erm. What's with ST headlines nowadays. iDon't know also." Personally, I feel that this is a pretty good gimmick. The purpose of a headline is to grab attention. If you fail to entice readers, chances of them reading on are lower. This particular headline has an intention to poke fun and inject sarcasm, instead of a probable quotidian one like "$848 for an iPhone 5C. A little too much?", which is the very intention of the writer and editor alike. The subject here is the iPhone 5C, and with a little wordplay to combine and stylize "I" and "don't" into "iDon't" is a good retaliation to the Apple product. Furthermore, the friend wrote "iDon't know also." in her comment. This is utterly ironic. She mocks at the headline in the same way the headline mocks at the price, and the way the headline mocks is mocked by her, so is she mocking at herself? What makes this thing appalling is the tremendous number of "likes" she garnered. Seriously? I hope her friends liked her post because of the attention-grabbing headline instead of her supposed "clever" comment -.-
For the past one month I have been reading newspapers and I must say that it is really enriching. I read because the newspapers are free, I have easy access to them, and I have nothing else to do. Now that my daily routine has reverted back to how it previously was, I guess I will not touch newspapers frequently again. Oh and I've made a friend who I can easily converse with. This is one the the biggest takeaways from cycle 2 of deployment. September is probably one of the harder months to pass before ORD. I've got the practical test tomorrow and Field Camp is in less than 2 weeks. After this month I would be in a lighter mood and embracing the reality that ORD is around the corner.
Actually I am hoping that I can write more on current affairs rather complaining about army and some sickening friends. But right now, brain juices are not flowing and I am quite stumped. Missing happy times and the occasional times when thoughts can keep running and I keep typing. It's sad that people say "Life is too short to worry about anything" and stuff like that while I just want to say, "I am quite sick of my life right now." Oh wait, I recall something. Last Friday my parents took me to shopping. 3 trousers and 2 shirts for $250, all paid for by them. Lovely parents. Actually it's not that pricey already, considering they are not some unknown labels and one of the trousers is a Levi's (my first). Bought a digital camera at Comex for $229 with my own savings. I guess it's pretty worth it. Sony Xperia Z costs an exorbitant $888 without contract. What? Prosperous figure ah?(for the Chinese) Aargh, can't wait for someone's contract to expire and let me make use of it.

Comments

Popular Posts