Crazy Stuff

Cindy has not been driving BlueSG frequently and was having thoughts of terminating her membership. The company seemingly sensed it and tempted her with a 10-dollar voucher, so we went for a drive all the way to Changi Village last night. We had dinner at Charlie's Corner, the same place both of us dined at, the last time we were there in Feb 2018. I remember it was one month before the transplant and I was trying to tick some items off my 'bucket list'. 

The fish and chips, which Charlie's Corner is famous for, is still good. The batter is just sufficient to contain the fish and not too thick. Fish itself is firm and not excessively oily. Chips are fried to a perfect golden with a pillowy center. One thing to pick on is probably the lack of crispiness some would expect. 

We strolled around Changi Beach Park after having our fill. Numerous people were scattered along the beach - fishing, lounging alone with the accompaniment of music, having hearty conversations with loved ones... It was high tide and the sea was reflecting a hue of red from the sky. Thought of something funny. The other day I saw a meme about the 10 levels of loneliness and one of which was to look at the the sea alone. One of the top comments wrote '海 看着看着 就跳了' which means, as one stares at the sea, he unknowingly jumps into it (suicide). The joke does not translate well. Cindy was sort of afraid I'd actually do it, but nah, for someone who knows how to swim, the survival instinct will kick in, so this is definitely a poor choice for suicide. Well, I am not actually thinking of ways to do so.

It looked as if a downpour was imminent yet it was held back so as not to douse the jubilant mood of the beach/park goers. I saw a swing and had to get on it. I wondered why it was so tiring, and got reminded that I was getting old. Once, I even cycled past here with a group of friends when we did night (read: overnight) cycling. At one point we were sitting in a Macdonald's in Pasir Ris thinking about the rationality of our decision and contemplating if we should cut the journey short, but still managed hang on till dawn. 'Adventure is sugar-coated finding trouble' - HAHAHAHA. Doubt I can even survive past 3am now. 

As there was still some time to spare in the 4-hr package, I asked to make a detour to Wai Hou's place, which is just a 10-min drive away. Wai Hou is a friend whom I've lost touch with since 2015. It was my fault - I just did not reply his last messages and even deleted his number because I thought I'd never contact him again. I did not know what came over me. As what Cindy aptly puts it, 'He was more mature than you at that time.' Driving to his house was not a sudden thought. Each time I'm in the east (which is not frequent), memories come rushing back into my mind. I can even remember some minutiae of the times we had, what he said at exactly where. Changi Village raked up a piece of memory as well, since we had breakfast at the hawker once.

Yeah I know driving to his house sounds like a creep, but I just had to find a way to soothe the nostalgia. I was not intending to knock on the door but if he had stepped out coincidentally, a conversation was inevitable, however long/short, however nasty/pleasant. I could remember the block but the unit was vague. None of the units I went to seemed right. Perhaps I was wrong, or perhaps he had moved. Cliche as it sounds, I only know the true value of a moment when it has become a memory.  This time, I guess he will be the one ignoring my last text indefinitely. Edit: Yes! I scored a meet-up!

Comments

Popular Posts