After Work Dinners - Seiwaa

I had been feeling blue today but meeting Wendy after work helped to soothe my feelings. In the midst of chasing new friends, sometimes you feel that the old ones are better. They are seemingly the ones who understand or try to understand you, and provide better solace.

Dinner was at Seiwaa Okonomiyaki and Teppanyaki. It does not seat many people and we were lucky to have a table despite not having a reservation. Food and service were exceptional but I dislike that they charge $1.50 per person for water. I know that conversations with me are not heavy on humour but I try to make up for this shortfall by being a good listener and sounding sincere. It does not pay sometimes, but other times it does. I may not be the best company for everyone, but I am extremely grateful when people find conversations with me meaningful and substantial.

I took Wendy for a walk to Parkview Square, a building in Singapore I really like. There were some art installations in the courtyard, and we stopped in front of one to discuss what the artist was trying to depict. Sounds crazy I know, but it was fun for the both of us. Many times I'm scared that being analytical and logical will make the conversation really dry, but it is not a problem when you find yourself in the company of like-minded people. There are stuff I do not wish to talk about, but that really shouldn't be taken as a signal that I am enclosed. I would very much prefer people to test my limits rather than cower in fear of offending me, so long they don't go overboard.

Speech is an art. I was, I am, and I will grapple with it. When a conversation fails to sustain, one may ask why. There are a couple of reasons, but if it is because 2 people can't communicate on the same wavelength, then one doesn't have to take it personally.

Comments

Popular Posts