Condition Update #1

Typed half of this on a scorching, sweltering Monday afternoon. Fortunately, the itch has reduced in intensity. I am able to tolerate it better instead of scratching myself wildly like a possessed monkey. However, a new problem surfaced. I have lots of stubborn phlegm that cannot be readily expelled by coughing. When I heave, I produce a wheezing sound as if my air sacs are punctured. At times, my nose gets congested, and I blow out thick, sticky mucus. It's like every organ in my body takes turns to have problems. No difficulty breathing or tightness in the chest, so pretty lucky in that sense.

To many, cancer is synonymous to death. Yes, this illness is devastating and distressing, but having cancer is not akin to a death sentence. I wouldn't call myself a cancer survivor just yet, but there are many successful cases.

Many do understand that recovering from leukaemia is a long process even though therapies (chemotherapy and radiation therapy) and transplant have ended, but there are some who don't. I'm still having blood transfusion about once per week, the last time being last Thursday. The normal level for haemoglobin ranges between 13.1 to 16.6g/dL. When it falls below 7g/dL, the doctor orders transfusion for me. As you can tell, transfusion may not be needed even if haemoglobin level is not within normal range, since blood is a precious resource. But mine has hardly hit and maintained beyond 7g/dL. So when a friend thought I had recovered fully and ready to start full-time employment, I roll my eyes so hard sometimes I'm scared it wouldn't roll back into position. Why hasn't the doctor decided that I can be off certain medications like acyclovir, which is an anti-viral drug? I believe any healthy being wouldn't need to rely on anti viral drugs on a daily basis to fend off infections. Cannot blame them for their ignorance though, not like everyone contracts leukaemia.

For the record, I can't wait to earn my own income. A job keeps me occupied and allows me to travel and spend money on goods more freely, all at my expense. Who with a sane mind would choose to have leukaemia and idle at home instead of working as a grown adult?

When I had visitors in the ward, I always made it a point to chat, and not to look like I was dying. I dislike the silence that would otherwise pervade the ward. I know of the saying that suggests comfortable silence between people implies true friendship. But imagine a visitor taking time off to head down to the hospital, but having to stare into blank space because using the phone is kind of meaningless and inappropriate. Anyway, talking is good, and I could talk, so why not? However, maybe my outward expressions indicated to some that I was doing superbly well, way past their expectations. Yeah I did not suffer from things like bouts of depression but nobody was there to witness me vomiting like crazy - around once every 10 minutes for 2 hours, and the frequent trips I had to make to the washroom due to the terrible diarrhea I had mentioned in a previous post.

Comments

Popular Posts