Cindy's Birthday Day Out

Today was a happy day. Went on an gastronomic adventure and ate like a glutton. First stop was One Man Coffee at Upper Thomson. The first time I tried it 4 years ago, I immediately deemed it as one of my top 3 cafes of all time. Today was only my second time and its position in my heart still stands. What makes it outstanding is that they serve good food at affordable prices lower than many of its competitors, staff have superb service, and the cafe is not pretentiously ornate. It is a cozy small space at the Upper Thomson branch that allows you to sit back and enjoy food crafted with seriousness by artisans rather than leaving you feeling as if they are just profit-driven business people who churn out sub-par food for the gram and hype. I personally think that the carbonara can be a little creamier though. Just a little. But still pretty good.

Post-lunch dessert was ice-cream at Salted Caramel. To me, smooth (without icy bits) and flavourful ice-cream is good ice cream, and Salted Caramel satisfies me.

I heard the Sin Ming Roti Prata is one of the best in Singapore. So, for the third stop we headed down to the stall located at 24 Sin Ming Road to try it. It's tucked away in a coffeeshop but a short distance from the main Upper Thomson road. Although the roti prata isn't as crispy as some, I still like it for crispiness isn't everything. What's the use of being ultra crispy on the outside when the inside packs an overwhelming dough flavour? I don't know if it is considered one the the best in Singapore, but at least it didn't leave me feeling disappointed like some famous establishments. It was a weekday and post lunch hours, so there wasn't a queue when we arrived. One thing is that they insist to cook the roti prata upon order, so while you'll have to wait, you're guaranteed of piping hot goodness.

Chilled at the coffeshop for some time before spontaneously deciding on singing K. Had a great time although the last time I went to a karaoke wasn't too long ago.

Fourth stop was dinner at Akimitsu, Plaza Singapura. I did not understand how the tendon is an award-winning one. Were the other contestants that incompetent? I personally prefer Tendon Kohaku at Suntec City. I prefer Kohaku's mix of ingredients and the absence of a sickening greasy feel.

Cindy's birthday is tomorrow but Happy Birthday in advance to a reliable, spontaneous, accommodating friend.

P.S What's with the sudden surge of viewership from Algeria? Drop me a mail at alpherges(at)gmail(dot)com if you'd like to talk to me.

Comments

Popular Posts