Inner Voice

Few days ago, someone taught me that if you want something, then go ahead and grab it. In an indirect manner though. Actually we are similar in this aspect. Sometimes when I've made up my mind, say, to purchase a bag, I'd still ask somebody for opinions. Even if that person advises against it, I would have still bought it.

For this particular person, perhaps he was already leaning towards the "want" side all along. Occasionally he sounded intentions of dropping the thought but still it came back, and I think it was more of relief than any other feeling when he managed to clinch the chance, because that's what he's been coveting. I don't know why he decided to keep mum all along, then suddenly announced on social media the final result of him having entered some program. Perhaps this incident is a demonstration of "every man for himself". University is not a time to start making friends. Friends with benefits sure can help you a great deal down the road, however. Yes, he deserves to be in that program, because he mugs so hard for every single test and exam. He mugs much more harder than others. Long hours at a fast food restaurant, conscientiously doing PYPs (others may do 1, but he does 5?), faithfully clarifies his doubts, religiously revises what have been taught and digests the information before attempting tutorials... No justice not to let such a diligent mugger enter that program. Does that sound like a compliment? That is how he "compliments" others, anyway.

That person always claims himself to be humble and not competitive. I doubt so. In "The Social Network" movie, there is this line, "You're not an asshole Mark, you're just trying so hard to be one." This person, however, is probably an asshole trying so hard not to be one. When I was watching House of Cards yesterday, this line came in so timely, "Hate - it starts in your gut, deep down here, where it stirs and churns. And then it rises. Hate rises fast and volcanic. It erupts hot on the breath. Your eyes go wide with fire. You clench your teeth so hard, you think they'll shatter." What do I hate actually? His character? Hate myself for being academically inferior than him? Hate that fate allowed us to meet? Perhaps a combination. And perhaps I'm also an asshole to him, and two assholes repel. We humans, how dangerous, sly, and unfathomable.

Yesterday I was watching 康熙来了, a Taiwanese variety show. I came across this song which was a collaborated effort of 53 high school students from 15 different schools. Nice song, and very meaningful production. This song is a morale booster, and is a popular song sung during graduation ceremonies in Taiwan now.

Comments

Popular Posts