A Visit and Some Lessons

Never been to a friend's house for a long while, until yesterday. While I was on the train to Runze's house, I was thinking what I was doing. Bukit Panjang to Sengkang is a pretty long distance. I was wondering why was I willing to make the journey. We have known each other for barely 4 months. Yet, I had the privilege. Privilege of going not because of a compelling reason like project, but out of total spontaneity.
Although I rarely read, I really enjoyed the Usborne mystery book series during primary school times. Surprisingly, Runze has a collection. Sort of share the same interest in this aspect. Browsed through his Pokemon card collection too. Nope, it wasn't lame at all. Reliving childhood memories, and it's a blessing to have memories, helping you make your life a whole. Some aren't worth recollecting, but surely there have been some worthy ones to cover up. Ultimately, remembering a past beats not remembering. The books and cards are probably his most prized possessions...
He has some very old school games like Mario Kart and Little Fighter, which we played. Through play, I could tell that he is a competitive person. It's not something undesirable, so long he manages to keep his emotions in check, which I believe he is currently doing fine. One of the things I hate about myself is that I suck in gaming. Anyway from young, I have proven myself to be weak or lacking in interest in movement and games. Luckily I still have a liking for badminton. Gaming with Runze denied him of the 'kick'...but I hope he found it ok. Maybe next time can play something like Scrabble, then the 'kick' might come, hmm...
I hate that I stammer at times. I hate that my mind cannot 'bend' fast enough. Sometimes when I'm not prepared, I say very dumb stuff, i.e I am not that witty. However, I am glad that I don't suck in sense of direction, and probably pretty observant too. Next time if I have the chance to drop by Runze's house again, I can make it to his door successfully on my own. That I'm confident. Should learn how to leverage on strengths to make up for inadequacies.
Talking about appreciating the little things in life. Although there are many things I am unhappy about myself, some intrinsic qualities that I have no control to modify, I'm grateful to have friendships like this. Always got something to talk about, and having no qualms about sharing anything. Probably grateful that he doesn't ostracise me too, lol. Because in academic results wise, there is a considerable disparity between us. Despite some stark differences in our personalities, we are still able to click. I guess this is one of those things that can 'border on miraculous'.

Comments

Popular Posts