Overbearing

Geez, didn't expect to type a ranting post so quickly. This is not the first time I'm experiencing this. It's not that I've not tried tolerating. I know this is kind of impudent. But, I think that my parents can be a tad irritating sometimes. Today, my mum just gave a new coat of paint to my room. It's a deep shade of purple. Ok, the colour intensity and visual beauty are not the main point. Thing is, previously she told me her intention of painting the room. I said I didn't want it. My dad said if I didn't want, then just forget it. Mum kept quiet. Today, she knocked off from work early. The moment she stepped into the house, she told me she was going to start painting. Alas, the "no" fell on deaf ears.
Obviously she is adamant in getting the work done. She didn't even bother to ask for opinions, she merely informed, and that's her sole purpose. She would proceed with whatever she has planned, regardless of what people say. That includes shifting furniture in the house. I believe she thinks that her arrangements are the best, so it would be pointless for others to interfere and argue. Totally not receptive and does not show respect for the thoughts of people around.
It's true that this is her house. In the future, my brother and I would probably move out and this house would be like a personal cove for her and dad. If I have the ability and right to own a house, I would move out. But currently, I am staying in the room. Logically speaking, shouldn't I be the one determining the colour I want for the room? Simple thing. Yet she wants to barge in and take every matter in her own hands.
Sometimes I find it difficult to interact with my dad. He can get very angsty. Another not receptive person. No matter how people try to pacify, he would stay in the state of angst. Only he can help himself and only time would lift him up from the swamp. He asks questions that have the most obvious answers. I got a dejavu that I posted about him asking the conversion rate from NT TO SGD, and that we have told him umpteen times. Guess what, till date he is STILL asking the same old irritating question whenever he comes across an amount he sees on television.
I think that I really resemble my parents in some ways, in terms of character. Both positive ones and negative ones. But I see the negative ones more strongly. I am not pushing the blame of my poor character to inheritance, but damn it, it's really true that we are quite similar. I find it funny that they just reprimand and don't reflect upon themselves. The Chinese having a saying, usually said by the older generation, "The amount of salt I've eaten is more than the amount of rice you've consumed." I think this is quite nonsensical. True that the elders deserve more respect, but they can still commit mistakes sometimes. When they don't do self reflection and only find faults in others, they go more haywire.

Comments

Popular Posts