Start the Year with Movie Marathon

Happy New Year! Another brand new start, with receiving A Level results as the first major event for me, perhaps. I hope the tick of time won't be in a haste, because anyway we are having holidays now, and this is my last year as a teen. Anyway, looking forward to new events and experiences in store for me.
5 movies within 2 days! Not sure if I will watch another one later on. The cable TV is interesting, because for yesterday and today, practically all the channels are free. I simply tried my luck at an unsubscribed channel and bingo. And the reason why I tried was because I remembered that this happened last year during a special occasion. As for why I tried that time, it was pure random I guess.
I watched (in chronological order), 《游龙戏凤》, 《财神客栈》, 《剑雨》, 《我的父亲母亲》 and 《风声》. The last two are especially wondrous works. I guess one needs to have a bit old-fashioned sense to appreciate 《我的父亲母亲》, and not dislike Chinese too much to appreciate 《风声》.
《我的父亲母亲》 has a slow progression in storyline, but captures the essentials. As a romance film, it expresses the silly things you'd do for the ones you love, the sacrifice you have to be together with each other, and an undying and unwavering kind of love that lingers though one of the two has unfortunately passed away. 《风声》 was kind of complicated for me at first, because there are tonnes of things about the Japanese occupation that I am unsure or ignorant of. But eventually, the story would be clearer, as actually the core as is not on the major historical events that people should know. Instead, it is based on a easy to follow storyline of spies. I think the movie is a blend of Sherlock Holmes, Kindaichi and Saw. Very smart and tactical moves employed by witty characters and a sense of suspense and suspicion. The English subtitles are great, proper, relevant translation and impressive language. 《风声》 is like a blend of brutality, betrayal, loyalty, trust, justice, sacrifice, sorrow, love, and bravery. It has got some classic lines too! Like "我不怕死, 怕的是爱我者不知我为何而死". (I'm not afraid of dying, but only fear my loved ones won't know what I've died for) The last ten minutes or so explain some parts that previously occurred, keeping the suspense and bewilderment till the last moment and also not leaving viewers with doubts in their heads. Overall it is a touching movie and superb acting, which I believe you will be bound to be enthralled and awed.
You can learn from movies! How to feel (lol), and the language, for instance :)

Btw, I have this thought and typing it down now. I think that a sunny day is strictly a sunny day, not a "good day". Wait till you sweat buckets, suffer from dehydration, and face water shortage then you it's still a good day? Sunny day or rainy day, though the latter can foil most plans, it is also important and can bring you joy like a sunny day can, so, don't categorize!

Comments

Popular Posts