Hello 2020

Is it too late to say "Happy New Year" now?

Hello 2020. It's not even half past January but it already seems like 2020 is going to be a year of changes, at least work wise. Teams are merging, and batons will be passed between managers. I have no telling how it's going to be under the new leadership and what kind of new roles to expect. I mean, we have been briefed what are in store for us, however nothing is really concrete and experience tells that plans are erratic. Just last month, we were told that we would be under another manager and not the one whom we are going to expect now.

That day I watched a vlog of a Taiwanese family visiting a fortune teller in Taichung. The family has visited this fortune teller several times over the years because they think she gives accurate guesses and helpful advice. This morning, I even had the sudden thought of flying to Taichung sometime just to look for that fortune teller for advice, with some side trips of course.

And in June, I would be taking a written examination again, the first since college days. Currently don't know where to begin, and have not started on any readings. I always tell myself during the weekdays to start the coming weekend, but when the weekend arrives, I find myself sleeping or lying on the bed or going out most of the time. At times when I'm using the computer, I would rather spend my time watching videos and listening to music. I think it's due to the accumulated lethargy over the past week, so much so I only want to do things over the weekend that are remotely close to work.

If I dread Monday, does it mean that my work does not spark joy? My outgoing manager has some projects that would be passed to me when she switches department soon, not to mention some time-consuming tasks that I've yet to start. Raising my concerns to the incoming manager seems like I am complaining excessively/can't handle pressure, although she said to jot down the ad-hoc tasks that I need to do and give her the list coming Friday. Met Denise for lunch on Friday, who suggested to jot all tasks that I need to do, be it ad-hoc or not (because I also don't know how to classify some tasks) and let her judge on her own if they are too many.

Anyway, the conversation was interactive and thought-provoking. For instance, I did not expect the HR of some government organisation to say things like, "That company (which offered you a position) is a small company right? That's why they are willing to offer a job related to cyber security to you, an Econs major." I don't think I need to dissect this; you can see everything that's wrong with it. At the end of the day, grades matter, unless you possess some exceptional talent or skillset that can make people overlook your grades.

Gotta love those lunches with friends - serves as a good avenue to catch-up, and to seek advice.

Comments

Popular Posts