Social Media

Social media can be toxic. It even makes me see some people in a different light or makes me wonder if they were the people I once knew. I have (or had, maybe) always liked photos on IG because of 2 simple reasons: either because of the beauty of the photo or because of the meaning it entails. But then politics kicked in. Some are biased towards/against you, and they only enjoy being around the likes of popular people (insert own definition) and think they are an exclusive branch in society. Nuseir Yassin (Nas Daily) once made a video talking about the number trap - people being obsessed with numbers. I think if a person consistently likes your photos, it makes you happy, and when that doesn't happen, somehow you don't feel the need to reciprocate or even end up in some "cold war" (of not liking). Lastly, some people unfollowed me but still follow some other friends who don't even follow them back. Whatever their reasons, to me, those kind of people just seem to me like they don't have a backbone, and these are the kind of people who help to inflate the ego of those who are seeking attention.

And then there are people who just don't reply you on messaging platforms. Some are genuinely busy, while some just prefer to reply others or prefer to scroll through IG rather than replying you. Yes yes, bombard me with the "freedom" thing - people have freedom to do whatever they want. I know, that's why I don't cling on to their hems begging for replies. Just note that next time when you find yourself asking questions like "Why don't people bother to initiate conversations nowadays?", understand that you belong to those who created this result.

After I've said so much and you still ask me "Why are you so bothered?". Let me summarize in just one short sentence, "I am disgusted." I have posted the likes of complaining about social media several times now, and I know that things aren't going to change, so just treat this as a rambling. One either seeks comfort and solace in the amount of attention he gets on social media or from fuller, more meaningful relationships in reality. And for the latter, it is a lifelong, tedious quest.

Comments

Popular Posts