Five Enough - South Korean Drama

"Five Enough" is a 2016 South Korean family drama which is currently airing on Mediacorp Channel U. I am late to the party but I am addicted to it. Channel U has aired countless family dramas over the years at the 7pm prime time slot. Few had truly captivated me like this one. I wasn't like that right from episode 1, but I'll be following every one from now till it finishes its run. I always watch the 7pm dramas along with my parents as we have dinner. (It used to be Hong Kong productions until the Korean ones seized the slot a long time ago.) After dinner I would almost always return to my room but I can't do the same for this drama. I seem spellbound and and eyes would be glued to the screen. Many people are obsessed with "Yanxi Palace" yet I am hooked on a drama that is already 2 years old. Guess I am really a misfit. Haha...

I think the couple that grabbed my attention was Lee Sang-tae and Ahn Mi-jung. One is a single father with 2 children, while the other is a single mother with 3 children. Do the math, and that equates to the title. A poor girl getting together with a rich guy or vice versa has become a cliche. Seems like the producers are really trying hard to think of different background stories for the protagonists, and this relationship in the drama is refreshing to me. It sends a message to live in the present and not dwell on the past. There are 3 other couples also in a budding relationship, and they have cute interactions of their own. The denial of falling in love, the awkwardness, the little antics, and the sweet nothings they exchange, make me smile like a retard.

"Your Song" by Beige - nice OST




ADDED ON 21 OCTOBER

I've finished the series on YouTube. The comments section is swarmed with people saying "I watch this drama because of Lee Yeon-tae and Kim Sang-min" and the likes of it. I find that those people with such comments are shallow. Perhaps those audience are still kind of young, so the courtship between a younger couple is something they can relate better to. However, they lack appreciation and have a narrow vision. If that young couple in a 54-episode family drama series that consists of a myriad other characters is the only reason why they watched the drama, perhaps they are better off watching those idol dramas, then they can salivate all over and squeal in front of their screens without too many distractions from other characters. In family drams, we often see scenes of scheduled meet-ups for conversations. Those conversations may seem dry and lengthy but it actually requires a great deal of effort to think of those lines and sometimes they can incite you to ponder and feel deeper for the ordeals the characters are going through. If you want to talk about character development, I think Jang Jin-joo takes the crown for transforming from a pampered, extravagant princess to a sensible, hardworking lady. The mother of every family in the drama incites the most hatred. And of course, the main leads undergo the biggest emotional roller-coaster from their courtship even until after they got married. There are just so many elements that overshadow a young, madly in love, pretty/handsome couple, although undeniably they do spice up the drama. Perhaps those kids will understand, in the future.

Comments

Popular Posts