12-hour Day Out in Singapore

I was disappointed and annoyed.

5 of us were supposed to go on a trip to JB yesterday. We set the date at least 2 months ago but plans fell apart 2 days prior, reason being it was the first day of the Hungry Ghost Festival and one of our friend's mum disallowed her to go overseas. So much for all the build-up in excitement (at least for me) only to have it dissipated eventually. An article by thesmartlocal suggested things to do in Singapore for a "road trip". I refuse to use the term "road trip" in the title because it sounds so bloody ridiculous to me. People came up with ideas but nothing was concrete except to go for an escape room. 11 August suddenly seemed like such a pathetic day and a major flop to me.

I turned up with misery and I thought I would remain that way for the rest of the day. First stop was a bicycle cafe right beside Seletar Airport. Man, the food sucked big time. No big deal for not having coffee art but the taste and aroma were so faint that if that cup of liquid were to be called "coffee", it would smear the word. They served katsu don. What a random mix but ok... What wasn't ok was the chicken cutlet. It was as if the chicken suffered a heavy trauma right before its death, causing every of its muscle fiber to contract and cooking it did not alleviate the tension.

Next, we went to an "animal resort". It was a stinky, shabby, small farm with mostly birds. Their feathers were dull and damaged. I have no idea how the place can serve a useful educational purpose because there were practically no signs to provide information of the animals. Such a miserable place certainly does not deserve to be called a resort. 2 misses in a row.

What lifted my mood slightly was the desserts that followed. They were wondering where to head to next, so I suggested Creamier. After so many years, it is still such a popular ice-cream parlor. Only difference is that they now use disposables. Funny, when environmental concerns seem to be the talk of the town recently, and KFC even stopped providing straws. I think I broke into a smile for the first time that day, while we were having desserts. The escape room was definitely a big redeeming factor. We did not get the room we originally wanted (had to share the room with 3 strangers so we gave it up), but I think plan B was pretty awesome. We failed to escape but we were so close. It was a bummer in this sense, but everyone contributed and worked harmoniously.

Wanted to catch a movie after dinner, but decided to play games at The Mind Cafe instead. The staff were pretty patient except for one fucking bespectacled ah beng who showed attitude at one point of time. I believe his tattooed big guns jacked up his ego. Shoutout to Yao Wen Kai, one of the managers - so patient and clear in his explanations. Played 3 games and 2 hours flew past. Good times always seem so transient.

Wei Lun isn't really a good driver but huge thanks to him for driving us around. I dare not hold high hopes, but it would be super cool if all 4 of us can fly to Massachusetts for his graduation in around 5 years' time.

Comments

Popular Posts