Bad Progressions

August did not start off well. My brother's mum-in-law has decided that soon I will be well enough to take care of myself and will stop cooking for me starting from September. I shall refer her as "Auntie" for the rest of the post. She gave a number of excuses reasons why she has decided to stop cooking, primarily because her daughter is pregnant and she wants more "me time" before the baby is born. I was not convinced by her gibberish. If I were to reiterate our conversation and to refute what she said over here, it will be long and somewhat churlish. Even if I disagree with her, I have to respect her decision.

One thing I must say though, is that I find it damn ludicrous that Auntie keeps harping on how she had "slogged" during her younger days and her need to enjoy life now. First of all, she most certainly did not face much pressure in academia because she discontinued her education in primary school. Work wise, she did nothing laborious before and for the longest job she had - a seamstress, she did not even have to work in a stuffy, noisy factory. She worked from home. Her children turned out to be filial and obedient so she does not need to fear that nobody will take care of her now, or in the future. Currently in her fifties, she is living the life of a retiree. She even feels that it is redundant for her to earn income of any sort. Given this, why is Bill Gates (a much older being than Auntie is, mind you) still working when he surely has the assets to last him for the rest of his life? Although she needs to do household chores, it will not take a toll on her in any way. For example, unless you have an OCD, nobody would clean the window grilles every day. The only household chores that need to done more frequently are: vacuuming (not sweeping) the floor, mopping the floor, and washing the clothes (activating the washing machine and then putting them out to dry). Saying that she had to take care of her children is weak argument because there are tons of couples out there who have to be stuck at the workplace for almost half of the day and then at night and during weekends, they equally have to bear the responsibility of childcare. Saying that she is occupied with household chores is also a weak argument because if I were to add up the hours she spend on housework each day, it will not exceed 3 hours (including cooking!). If I were to live her life, I wouldn't be complaining the way she did. The only complaint will be boredom.

I will not forget Auntie's kindness in preparing nutritious meals for me for almost a year but I also stand by the fact that she has been pampered in a certain way during this lifetime of hers.

Speaking of pampered, I find it funny when parents/guardians do not allow their daughter to travel alone with a guy friend. Your daughter has been friends with this guy for over a decade and still frequently keep in touch. Don't they trust their daughter in choosing a friend?

"They trust their daughter, but they do not trust you."

Well, that's offensive. So they are afraid that the guy would do anything indecent to their precious? Come on, why wait till overseas to do it when there have been plenty of opportunities in the past decade to do it locally?

"They fear the safety of only 2 people traveling."

How come it's totally fine with 2 girls traveling? Double standards.

"They just hate on you."

Funny because they might not even understand the guy well, or at least try to. Maybe the hatred is built on misconception and misinterpretation.

Just admit it, many Singaporeans are entitled individuals. And some are deluded into believing so.

I'm going on 2 trips in September. When things proceed too smoothly, you know something is not right. I hope the concessions I've made will guarantee me enjoyment in return.

On a happier note, I have not had blood transfusion for 2 consecutive weeks and can probably start looking for a job in October. The nightmare of job hunting will haunt me very soon. That's again bad. But seriously need to get my life back to track and end the stagnation.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts