Film: Catch Me If You Can

For some reason, I could not establish an internet connection over the WiFi the other day. Hence, to pass time, I decided to watch a film I had downloaded on my laptop 5 months ago. I had intended to watch it during my stay in hospital but I'd rather lay on the bed than to do anything else. I did finish the first season of "Stranger Things" though. It was wildly popular and many raved about it, but I just didn't like it.

The film I watched was "Catch Me If You Can", a 2002 crime thriller directed by Steven Spielberg and starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Tom Hanks. I remember chancing upon the movie in a magazine that year, but didn't catch it in the cinema. Hui Koon recommended it to me and I've procrastinated watching it for far too long, until the failure of obtaining internet access forced me to finally do it.

I hadn't known that the film was based on a true story. In the film, the protagonist Frank William Abagnale Jr ran away from home following the separation of his parents. He turned into a con artist involved in check fraud and assumed many fake identities beginning with a co-pilot. It was astonishing seeing how he fabricated tales and lied his way through and succeeded - when he was just a teenager! An FBI agent was after him and managed to locate him eventually based on clues he gathered from a background check of Frank, and some which Frank unknowingly divulged. Frank's plea to be treated as a minor was ignored and he was sentenced to prison. After some time, however, he was given the opportunity to serve this remaining term by working for the FBI and help nab some of the world's most notorious and elusive criminals. He even came up with a new technology that made it harder for checks to be forged.

Tried my best to come up with a summary by not referring to Wikipedia or anything. I thought anyone could just Google for the plot summary himself but I imagined this, "What if someone asks me what the movie is about?" Isn't it silly if my reply were to be, "You can search for it online." If I had watched the film just recently, the question wouldn't be a hard one to answer.

What a life Frank Jr. had led. He is definitely one of those who can say "I lived", right before he draws his last breath. Those days of him living life as a con artist took place in the 1960s. Granted that he might have had it easier back when technology wasn't as advanced and laws had more loopholes, it's still incredible how exquisitely he drafted out his plans and executed them. It was fortunate that he eventually decided to put his knowledge and flair into good use by assisting the FBI, but actually one could already tell he wasn't a vile guy to begin with. He realised he could endanger lives during his short stint as a fake doctor, and thus decided to drop the pretense.

Thank you Hui Koon for the recommendation and thank you WiFi for the alternative way to spend my time.

Comments

Popular Posts