Post-Transplant Woes

I had another blood transfusion yesterday. Saved by yet another stranger who donated the blood. As I had mentioned, my transplant was in early March. They say that the transplant day is the patient's second birthday, like a phoenix reborn from the ashes. Hence, I guess I'd better go calculate which was the exact date and commit it to memory. It was 2 March. My blood type was O+, whereas my donor, who is my brother, is type B+. Due to this incompatibility, I would suffer from this condition called red cell aplasia, where the body is not producing enough of healthy red blood cells. That explains why I need blood transfusion from time to time. On Monday when I was on my way from outside, I nearly fainted. I had guessed then, that another transfusion was imminent. I also hope that I would not need blood transfusion anymore, but it's beyond my control how long this red cell aplasia will last... My platelet count also dipped from last week, and if it persists, the doctor will probably introduce another medicine, adding on the 9 I'm already taking every day.

There seems to be many good food in the estate that I've yet to try. Now is a good time, but a bad time to try them... Good time in the sense that I'm free, and bad in the sense that I have to suffer from the itch attack stemming from skin GVHD when I step outside. It's not that I don't itch while at home, but it is noticeably milder. The sun blazes in the cloudless sky almost everyday and the heat is unforgiving. Most of the time, rain wouldn't help. It just makes it more humid and serves no cooling effect. When I get ready to step out of the house to get lunch each day, I know I am going to be tormented by the agonizing itch. So, I'd just want to get something nearby and swiftly return home. It would also be better if the destination is an air-conditioned mall, but those food places are found in stuffy hawker centres/coffeeshops.

Facebook had to remind me of my bad experience with MFA, when MFA's career page popped up on my news feed. I am not a confident person, but there are rare times I feel confident about something, and clinching that job was one. You see, sometimes having confidence alone is not enough. I'm not dwelling on the matter, just pointing it out since Facebook decided to rake up the past. I would probably apply for the position again when I am well enough, but heaven knows when that will be. If there were a ranking of the "worst cancers to have", I reckon leukaemia will sit on the top position without a doubt, due to its many side effects and repercussions. I guess I can only nourish myself, which I am doing, and not be tied down by things I have no power over.

Comments

Popular Posts