The Way of Tolerance

A friend ruined my mood while in Bangkok. Perhaps I brought it upon myself. Here's what happened: She posted a picture of herself among a bed of sunflowers with the caption 'Spot the difference'. I posted a comment: 'Fat (her name) among pretty sunflowers', which she deleted without a word. I checked with her, and she responded, 'Yes, I did. Next time can don't comment like that? Thanks.'

She was clearly unhappy. But only told me not to do it after I asked. Well, who am I? It was probably not worthy to expend so much energy to voluntarily express her discomfort to me, an insignificant being to her.

To be honest, I deliberated before posting that comment. I had no intention of starting a war; nobody in the right mind would do that for no reason anyway. It could have been taken as a joke and be shrugged off, or taken as an offense and be obliterated. Unfortunately, I was too positive as I expected the former but it turned out to be the latter.

A mutual of ours once commented on a particular photo, '(offended girl's name) supposedly fat arm got cropped off'. This girl took it with much humor. And when I did the same, nope I did not get the same kind of reaction. I'm not saying it's not my fault for posting that mean comment (with no ill intentions). It's just that I naively thought I had the 'position' to do that. Nope. Horribly wrong.

This friend is someone who plays this kind of 'offensive jokes' as well. Many times I was the subject of her comments and I can't remember a single time I retorted. She claimed that she was not angry, but why did she have to resort to deleting that comment? Does it mean that she can do it to others and not the other way round? Maybe it is possible that you can do the same to her BUT BUT BUT, BE READY TO FACE THE CONSEQUENCES YOU DO NOT WANT TO FACE.

Ignorant people may simply think how screwed up I am. But those people had no idea how unfair I felt. They were also clueless about how weirdly sorry I felt when she deleted my comment without a word. Here's an analogy: The place I stayed at in Bangkok, was called PanPan hostel. Yes, a hostel, not even a hotel. To some people, they may immediately get turned off by the word 'hostel' and won't register any of my praises about the accommodation. However, if only they researched on it, or even stayed there themselves, they would have realized how great of a place it is.

May the popular people continue to be happy but not get conceited.

Comments

Popular Posts