Last Night

I, the lone figure, stood under the nebulous glow of the equally lonely moon. It hung high above, obscured behind gloomy, wafting clouds. Without the company of the stars, it was reluctant or afraid to expose itself, only occasionally taking surreptitious peeks from behind the cotton-like concealment. I’m not born with an interest to seek solitude, but sometimes it finds me. Tonight was one of those times. Solitude seemingly brings tranquility, but it slices you subtly with its sharp, arcane dagger. As if that was not harsh enough, the chilly wind knifed through my clothes, causing uncontrollable shivers and reminding me that there was nobody around to offer warmth or comfort.
The number of days is diminishing. Nearing the end, torrents of memories start flooding back to my mind. Try as I may to build a mental bulwark, it ultimately proved futile. Sunday nights, usual book-in days, become staying at home. It will take some getting accustomed to it. Ironically, those times that I dreaded became the most precious memories. I took way too long to adapt to this environment. When I eventually embraced reality, it was late, but at least it's better than never. If you want to befriend someone, muster your courage, strike a conversation. Sometimes you may not be reciprocated, but at least you know you've tried, you won't look back in regret.
The array of personalities in the platoon greatly added colors to life, even if they were dull hues of grey. Life isn't a bed of roses; it's a roller coaster ride with ups and downs, anyway. Initially, everyone abode by the rules. Rookie soldiers dared not try anything unconventional or defiant. As time passed, people started to get sick of army, became bolder, and tried things they've never done. That's how the term "test water" was coined. One of the most notable incident was shouting back at a commander. Yes, appalling indeed. But actually, none of us are rotten eggs beyond cure. This might seem like a knotty platoon to handle, but it's a good company to bask in.
Nights out, the lame jokes, the innocuous criticisms hurled, the trainings, all form indelible impressions in my mind. My peers have taken me through a tour of immense discovery. I've learned a lot from them - copious amounts of general knowledge, understanding more about myself, and change the way I view things. It has been a rewarding journey I never expected.
I'm glad to say I'm leaving without regrets. The last few weeks and days were meaningfully spent. Just hopping around to engage in conversations with friends, but with utmost sincerity. I believe through those talks, I have evidently evinced my sorrow of leaving them and how I've grown attached to the platoon. I also believe those talks have helped us to know one another better and leave nothing unspoken due to insufficient time or lack of chance. Many are probably green with envy that I am liberated earlier. Perhaps with the advent of their own ORD, or shortly after they leave, they might come to realize that it's not 100% elation and understand what I'm feeling now. I know some people are skeptical, clueless about their future, and so, it's best to cherish the last few months in spite of the daunting exercise in Taiwan. That might well be one of the most striking experiences they'll remember, so hopefully it's a good one.
And so, this is farewell. But not an eternal one. Someday we will get together again to continue composing our unfinished story.

Comments

Popular Posts