Not Quite the Season to be Jolly

Recently, I keep lamenting or troubling over some matters. Sometimes I wonder if they even require my worry or worth my attention, but I can't help letting my mind wander. It's intrinsic. Shall start off with last Friday, when we had company cohesion at Sentosa. The process was pretty enjoyable. After the event, I didn't want to go home just yet. I wasn't sure if the others shared the same sentiment as me, but I guess they did, seeing that quite a handful continued to linger at the beach and some were probing one another where they were heading next. That's the thing. Many people depend on others to call the shots on where to go and follow the majority. When someone has a suggestion but there is a lack of participants, they would rather boycott it. It seems that it's always one group or no groups at all, which means a disbandment where everyone goes separate ways.
I've always thought that ORD is something of utmost elation and anticipation. It's true, until you're nearing it. Transition from a civilian to a soldier is stepping out of your comfort zone, and transiting back to a civilian is another. In camp, you don't have to worry how to go about with your schedule as everything has been planned. You eat what they serve in the cookhouse. You don't have to fret too much about expenditure. You're leaving a group of people who have been through tough times with you and the friendships and memories forged are indelible and unforgettable. It's like graduation. Separation is always sad, when the people matter to you. Once was bewildered and unsatisfied about being in a HQ section, but our ties have grown leaps and bounds. The constant insult and seemingly angry criticisms (sometimes with a tinge of truth) are memorable and bring a smile to my face whenever I recollect them. I've grown accustomed to the way things are, like how unkempt Dexin is. Kelvin may look like a barbarian, but he sings and entertains. He has a soft side and is thoughtful. Weixiang can be one sentimental guy and it's impossible to forget his rubbish. "I'll suffocate you with my muscles."/"My muscles got become bigger?" It's time to stop counting down. There isn't much time together left, taking into consideration deployment and block leave.
After ORD, of course it will be wise to find a temporary job. Job hunting, however, sucks. I sincerely sincerely hope to able to do relief teaching. And I'll have to think of why I want to become a teacher, so that even I myself am convinced. Still clueless about what to do for my 21st birthday. No reply from ICA regarding citizenship application. I'm pretty sure I will get it, the only concern is they might have overlooked it or something. First time encountering such inefficiency in the government sector, and it sure is a huge disappointment. Anyway, if it were to be rejected, there should be a reply too, no?
Typing things out really helps to sort my thoughts. As a response to myself, ORD will arrive sooner or later. No use brooding too much over it though sadness is inevitable. Just try to make the best out of the remaining time. For relief teaching, I'll just go ahead and apply and keep my fingers crossed. I'll call up ICA sometime in Jan, make the move to inquire. Responsibility (Y). The things that require thinking are actually the temporary job and the 21st birthday. Have been quite an escapist of late, shall invest some time into thinking about those that need thinking and are within my control.
On another note, Weixiang suddenly shared some personal stuff with me. It's nice to lend a listening ear, and by the fact that someone is willing to share such stuff shows that you are trusted and, maybe mattered. I wrote a card for a platoon mate Houyen, and he wrote one in return. Will definitely keep the card like what I've been doing since 2003. Gave each of those in HQ a box of chocolates. Hope it helped to warm their hearts this Christmas despite having to be at Jurong Island for deployment. Shall write a CNY card for them, as a farewell note. I realized I enjoy writing, when I have an idea on what to write. Otherwise, it can be quite tedious but ultimately, the sense of accomplishment is there when I've completed writing.

Comments

Popular Posts