Same but Different

9 months in my camp already. Pretty amazing how I have come this far. I have been quite blessed, and I hope that the blessing will not wear off for the next few more months to come. Please see me through till I ORD with success. It was announced yesterday that the next block leave would be from 18 Nov to 1 Dec. Suddenly felt ORD was close, and it lifted my spirits. For the past month, I received a spike in friend requests on FB. I wonder why some particular people added me. Or maybe I should not wonder too much; it's not that complicated actually, they see me as a friend, so they added. It doesn't matter if we ever arrange for a meet up in the future, the friends status on FB serves as a reminder that this person once stepped into my life and created some memories. Minute bits and pieces of recollections, but together they make up a lifetime.
I am not the same person as the one who stepped into this camp on the very first day, in some ways. I have opened up quite a lot, be more accepting, gained wider insights, and enlarged my social circle. The dislikes I used to harbour for some people have since faded. The merits of people around, used to be obscured but now come to light.
However, at least one thing remains unchanged. I was generally nice, and still is. What bothers me is, at times I find it worthless or dumb to be nice. You will be unappreciated, not a word of thanks will be rendered to you. I don't buy the notion of giving and not expecting rewards. One cannot totally live by that principle. In this era, in this city full of vices, people have changed. Sometimes you can, and should be humble, dull like impure carbon, sometimes you got to shine like a diamond and let those around be aware of your contributions. This applies aptly at the workplace, especially those working in offices. The boss won't recognize or even remember you if you keep a low profile every time. You can forget about climbing up the social ladder, forever stuck at the same rung. Having said so, I do not imply that people enact a dog eat dog, false facade, scheming drama everyday. Play the game the fair way. I am getting off topic. Anyway, maybe one can attempt to shine like diamond in a inconspicuous way, so that they won't think you are after credits alone. What goes around comes around? You get your rewards eventually for being Mr/Ms Nice? How eventual will that be? Eventually rewards might not come, so we got to fight for them ourselves.
People won't want to have you as a friend that earnestly just because you are nice. It depends on whether the both of you are able to get along. A Chinese saying goes "道不同不相为谋, 亦各从其志也". It is hard for people who have different beliefs, interests and principles to walk together. But humans are weird. Sometimes you just feel that someone is a friend you really want to cherish, despite your differences, and sometimes you yourself don't really cherish someone though he/she has been nice to you.
I really wonder, the day when I walk out of this camp on my big day, how many people in this camp will I consider to have true friendships with.

Comments

Popular Posts