Pre-deployment

This week has been pretty slack. I was expecting to take my VOC test, but there was no training slot on the schedule. No stupid combat circuits and mobility drills, and there were plenty of admin time at night. However, some things are making me hesitant to classify this week as a "good week" or not. Went for AMPT (Annual Medic Proficiency Test), theory part, and scored 35/50. Kind of sucked, considering someone managed to score full marks. But maybe I should be contented since I only started cramming info into my head while on the way to take the test. There are two sets of revision materials available for revision. But they are with don't know who and I was lazy to trace them. The "revision materials" are actually questions that would be tested (just don't know specifically which), with answers. Maybe if I had read through them, I would have well scored 40 and beyond. But I am glad I didn't. What is the point if I had?
Talking to various people can indeed broaden your horizons. You get diverse viewpoints, gain some knowledge about random stuff and find out more about yourself. You get to kill boredom too. I found some people in another platoon that I enjoy talking to. Even had a plan for nights out last Wednesday (which did not realize). There was this certain someone who had never gone out with his platoon mates before, because he has his strong reasons to go home. I issued myself with the challenge and exhorted him to go out for a meal, and he relented. There was a certain someone who was reluctant to splurge on food. Challenge accepted and I managed to persuade him to go Dempsey Hill for once. (Those who know, Dempsey is quite an upmarket place) This is to cater who another person, person number 3, who does not want to go to the usual (and more affordable) places. Well, nobody had other suggestions too. On Wednesday morning, person one told me he still wants to go home. I did not say anything more to persuade him not to. Didn't wish to put him in a spot. This deterred person 3 from going, who left for his own destination eventually without a word. I am not blaming anybody, I'm serious. Just that, first, plan failed, second, the sense of disagreement makes it difficult to make everyone happy, third, the sense of unwillingness to go together when someone backs out sort of shows that the people remaining are of lesser importance, fourth, I wonder if anyone saw my effort to make it pleasing for everyone.
Wanted to talk to Yue Quan on a certain day but alas, he had guard duty. Wanted to talk to Sheng Hong, but he was feeling unwell. Wow, how can fate treat me like this? Socializing is hard.
An ORD-ing sergeant shared his army life with me that day. I only asked, "Was your BMT experience a more memorable one, or days at SCS?" And he went on and on and off topic. But it's ok. Anyway, he said that during field camp, a lot of ugly sides of people surfaced. I believe mine had shown too. Army is a time for learning, though sometimes you learn things the hard way. Army is a time for making friends. But what I am hoping is, I really get to know people and remain in contact, not those fleeting ones who you talk to and laugh together in camp but see one another as strangers in public next time.
Will be embarking on a 6 week deployment at Jurong Island starting next week, operating on a 4 days of work and 2 days of rest basis. Definitely will have something to rejoice about and something to lament. Shall talk about deployment some other time.

Comments

Popular Posts