The End Means A New Beginning

During the last few days of BMT, I kept having flashbacks of the past 7 weeks that I have spent on Tekong. I recalled me heaving a sigh of relief that I was in J Coy instead of N, us sitting at a random spot for around 1.5 hours, waiting for our belongings to arrive on the day of enlistment, various activities we had, the memorable punishment by my platoon commander during field camp, slack times in bunk...Oh and I kind of miss the nutritional meals served by the cookhouse. The meals are actually decent, except for kuay tiao and mee hoon for breakfast. The former is damn oily and resembles rubber band in taste. Both are equally not flavorful. The chefs seem to be having problems with these two dishes, I wonder why. Maybe some culinary lessons would help.
I am fortunate to be in where I am. One can easily see the stark difference in ways of training between J Coy and our neighboring coy. Not good to criticize on the way another coy operates, but it does not mean that a less stringent way of training is less effective. We should indeed count our blessings that reprimanding is more commonly adopted than knocking it down and stuff. I think that some scoldings we receive are truly valid, justifiable and straight on target. However, there will always be some people who treat those words as trash. And they repeat doing the actions they got scolded for in the first place, get punished again, then they whine. Vicious cycle, tsk. We see many different kinds of people in the army. Well, and I don't expect myself to like everyone, likewise when zooming in to my own platoon or even section. A friend told me to see the best in everyone, but it can be very difficult, when the person keeps portraying his irksome side and his good side is so hidden. I hope people who enter command school are really those who deserve it.
Shall not comment too much on other stuff on a platform that is susceptible to the scrutiny of the public eye. All in all, I will remember these 2 months, good memories, bad ones, all worth keeping. The 24km route march finale was such a torture. Before we even hit the halfway mark, my shoulders and legs were already screaming for an end to their suffering. Miraculously, they still tided over. I am glad I did not suffer any abrasions. Ample rest time at the venue, and good thing that it rained before the parade. Tossing of jockey cap: the long-awaited and highly anticipated moment. Woo!
Fate shall decide if the rest of my NS would be rigorous or slack. Despite how much I love army, what they say is right: whatever it is, I still need to serve my term. The word love is not in its literal meaning, right?

Comments

Popular Posts