The Good Place

We have resorted to different ways to keep ourselves occupied during this circuit breaker period. I guess generally speaking, people have spent more time watching shows on Netflix and other channels. This may sound sedentary, but I feel that apart from the entertainment value, they are an embodiment of our emotions and can leave us feeling wholesome or even teach us certain life lessons. I finished all 4 seasons of The Good Place, and truly enjoyed it. The writer experiments with philosophy throughout the series yet does not make it dreary or somniferous. Ultimately, it still categorizes as a sitcom and there are many amusing instances, although I feel that the characteristics of certain personas too over-the-top. My favourite line and also the greatest takeaway would probably be,

"If there were an answer I could give you to how the universe works, it wouldn’t be special. It would just be machinery fulfilling its cosmic design. Since nothing seems to make sense, when you find something or someone that does, it’s euphoria."

It's true isn't it? A person with a fixed daily routine might think that life is a repetitive cycle. Largely so, but there are still elements of unpredictability - news of a promotion, bumping into an old friend on the street, missing the train... It is the unknowns that make life worth living because we are constantly in search of the next thing in store for us.

Other than the moody thought of not having secured a job yet, life has been alright. There was a particular phone interview last week which seemed promising. I don't know if you have had similar experiences, sometimes the good feeling you get is just an illusion. I have not heard from them since, but there is no need to call back and inquire about the progress because based on past experiences, it is a silent rejection. Actually, I admit that I suck at interviews. My nervousness shows easily and sometimes I wonder if I am too honest about things. Should I tell small, innocuous lies so that my words are better packaged or so as to make myself come across as more appealing? I feel that there are so many thoughts running in the minds of the hiring managers but I am unable to quell those doubts of theirs.

It was really a pity for having missed that opportunity. I really hope I land in a good place (a new workplace in this case) real soon... Tagore wrote, "Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves". Whatever it is, let positivity prevail in times of darkness.

Comments

Popular Posts