You've Got Mail

You've Got Mail is a 1998 romantic comedy, starring Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. It's such a masterpiece.

Perhaps some people have the thought that rom-com is a frivolous genre meant for the sentimental, whimsical one craving for love or for something similarly exciting to happen in his/her love life. However, this film is spritually-enriching rather than simply crashing you with an emotion train. I've always believed that one of the reasons for a couple to be together is to help each other to become better versions of themselves. In the film, there is no hysterical drama, even when Tom stands Meg up for a date. Meg is more concerned about Tom's absence as she stands firmly to her belief that he is not someone who reneges on his words without a valid justification, and makes the move to email him again instead of letting the chagrin take control over her and flying into a rage. We see how the characters gradually become more emotionally attached to each other, even with minimal physical contact. In fact, there is only one kiss scene, at the very end. Also, is it me or is it true that the quotes from older films tend to be more creative, well-thought, classic, and impactful?

I digress - 2 days ago I received a tip-off from a former colleague, "Hahaha, Jun Wei you got involved in a case. She (former superior for 2 months) complained about you. When you hear about it you will sure be outraged." (Non-verbatim, corrected the language) First and foremost, I do not understand the need to be sadistic with the "hahaha" and trying to rouse my interest by not straight-up stating what the matter was. I decided not to take the bait and ask what it was, because I am not a fish. Secondly, since I will be outraged, it probably meant that the matter was not my fault or not totally my fault. Since I've left, I have no capability to defend myself, so no point knowing what the matter was anyway. Thirdly, I don't know if the colleague was trying to sensationalize it, or the former superior is so unscrupulous to the extent that she wanted to pin a mistake on a helpless staff who had departed, not that I would be surprised if she really did that.

Tying back to You've Got Mail, there is this part where Tom reflects "Do you ever feel you become the worst version of yourself? That a Pandora's Box of all the secret hateful parts...has sprung open?" Some people do realise it, but some people's stone-cold heart is impermeable to this gnawing unease. There's another part where a character describes that a long-standing bookstore has a "Jeffersonian purity" to it. If "Jeffersonian purity" is a thing, then someone is really full of "Mugabeian impurity".

You know you have watched a good film if you need time to collect yourself as the credits roll, letting the plot sink in, relishing the sublime script, reeling in from the amazement of the acting, and probably thinking "What a life lesson".

Can we all agree that a Tom Hanks film never disappoints?

Comments

Popular Posts