Universal Studios Singapore

One of the highlights in August was probably the night at USS. It was my first time to USS, courtesy of Cindy. The day was the NUHS Family Day and she got the tickets for cheap but it was a treat from her. The entire park was reserved for this event, so everyone there that night was either a staff under NUHS or someone of a certain connection to a staff.

Our mood was dampened upon arrival after seeing the long, snaking queue to enter the compound. Entry started at 1800 hours but we grabbed a drink and sat at one side before joining the queue at 1840, when the number of people elongating the queue significantly dwindled. It didn't take that long for us to enter, and it was relieving to see that the queues inside the park were not atrociously lengthy, probably because the throng of people had dispersed around the place. It was fortunate there were fireworks and shows going on that helped to divert the attention of young children and parents/guardians who had to stick with them. We spent no time on those as we set our sights on more exciting stuff.

We explored USS in a clockwise fashion, starting off simple by going on the Enchanted Airways, which is a simple roller coaster. I seldom go to amusement parks or get on thrill rides so I don't really know how much I can handle. And it was good to have someone adventurous and gallant like Cindy to help test my limits. After which, we went for a rapids adventure at the Lost World. I think they designed it pretty well - I especially liked the part when the raft enters an elevator which transports us to another level instead of staying at the same level ground. As it was nighttime, it added on to the sense of suspense and apprehension, which was thrilling.

Next up was Revenge of the Mummy - another indoor roller coaster. Lockers to store your belongings are free for a period of time. There is a long, twisting path indoors before you eventually end up at the ride. The air-condition definitely would help give some reprieve from the scorching heat in the day. People would probably be less exasperated standing in line as well. I enjoyed the roller coaster, which is accompanied by cool visual and sound effects. This was followed by a 3D Transformers ride. Hmm, I have nothing much to comment about this but Cindy said it's like you get transported to different chambers and get shaken up a bit each time. Haha I think her description is so insipid.

Finally, it was the the Battlestar Galactica, a pair of dueling roller coasters. We went straight for Cylon, fearing there wouldn't be enough time to ride it. After entering the premise, we realised that they over-reported the waiting time that was displayed at the entrance. Sneaky. It was electrifying and I was impressed my legs didn't turn jelly, neither did I have to close my eyes during the ride. After the ride, we went to try out the counterpart - Human. I would just say, once you've experienced Cylon, Human is nothing. We made the best of the remaining time and went for another round of Cylon right after - ending the day on a high note. This time I even managed to count exactly five 360 degree turns throughout the ride. We had a meal coupon each but did not utilise them. Well, we had more important business to take care of :) So, we had supper at Geylang after exiting the park.

With that, I dare say I had conquered USS. What's next?

Comments

Popular Posts