Vicissitudes of August

This was meant to be published on the last day of August, but I was too shiftless in the day and reached home too late at night. Here to summarize what a roller-coaster ride August had been.


Job Rotation
Boss started me on a new role at the start of August. Unexpectedly, there would be people who found it was too soon. Yeah, I felt the same too, but maybe the management had their reasons/plans. Honestly though, I was already feeling kind of jaded in the old role, for reasons I myself am not so sure of. Thought nobody could understand what I was feeling until that day when we had lunch with another department and realised another colleague currently feels what I was feeling back then, despite him joining the company later than I did. Thank you! Of course I wouldn't dare say I have fully grasped the work of corporate action. Perhaps it was a mixture of repeating the same work and not knowing what I do not know.

Funny how some people said that my mentor has a good temper, because that is not true. Ok, what's the definition in the first place? If you are a girl who does not need to work with him, I think you would definitely have this beautiful image of him, but in my definition of good temper, it does not discriminate based on who the person is. Nevertheless, I still stand by what I had mentioned in an earlier post that he teaches well. He has been lenient to me as well, such as sharing the workload and doing some of the more tricky stuff himself.

Understand that there are many people out there who have qualities that are much more undesirable, so the above is just to express a thought, and not a major complaint.


CMB
This app has brought great joy as well as immense disappointment. A friend had been harping on the term "abundance mindset (thinking)". According to Forbes, "Abundant thinking is an attitude and mindset that focuses on what we do have. It allows us to see possibility rather than limits and can shift our perspective."

Maybe it is useful in keeping people optimistic, but should it or can it really be applied on the concept of attraction between humans though? Based on the aforementioned definition, can someone see that it is intrinsically paradoxical? "Seeing possibility rather than limits" - there are other options so don't be too fixated on a single person, was what my friend wanted me to know. However, the same clause can also be interpreted as: don't limit the prospect of working things out with someone just because there is no initial spark. I believe there are many successful couples out there now who didn't have the mutual spark initially. Heck, even Mariah Carey had said "Love Takes Time". Aren't people tired to having to restart the conversation every time they match with someone new?

How can someone exchange long and deep conversations for 2 weeks then suddenly just want to give it up due to "no spark". I personally feel that it already isn't easy to be able to find someone who you can hit off well with, so why don't people try putting in a little more effort. Or, people shouldn't keep thinking that the only purpose that CMB serves is to form couples. Drop the burden of having the need to turn things into a romantic relationship during meet-ups, maybe things will be more comfortable.


Westlife Concert
10 August was finally the D-day. Given Singapore's hot weather, I'd prefer the indoor stadium any day. Sidenote: the Singapore Indoor Stadium really brings back fond memories. The heat aside, although we bought inexpensive tickets, my friend and I enjoyed where we were seated as we were against the wall. There was this sense of comfort knowing we could do whatever without causing obstruction or invite much judgement.

The concert did not meet expectations. The band was confined within a small stage, and there was no extension/runway for the 4 members to roam about. There were not enough effects, i.e. not really visually appealing. I didn't particularly like the song selection too. A guy proposing to his girlfriend on stage only helped to make the night slightly more interesting. Come to think of it, August seemed much of an artsy month with more focus on musical performances than usual.


Shingles
Experienced sudden stinging pain on one side of my scalp one fine day. Then, little bumps started appearing on my forehead and nose the next day. At first I thought it was just urticaria, but it worsened significantly. Went to the doctor who diagnosed it was shingles. Why did it have to happen to the face anyway? Some people have it easier by having shingles on their torso - at least this part of the body is not as sensitive and they can hide it. Had to be confined at home for a week, and that left me with just 2 days of medical leave for this year.

The bumps turned into blisters which have since crusted. But now my affected skin area feels numb and the scalp still has some lingering stinging pain - which is postherpetic neuralgia. These uncomfortable sensations can take quite some time to go away. The discomfort and state of the skin inextricably make me more self-conscious... Actually before someone tells me I have low self-esteem, they should probably first understand what I have been through, then maybe they wouldn't think my self-esteem level is that low after all. I am not an open book; take time to know me instead of assuming what I am based on instinct/hunch. Tumultuous times...

Comments

Popular Posts