First Full-Time Job

Today was a wonderful day for the record. I should really be sleeping now, but just gonna document some thoughts. It has been almost 2 months since I've started work. I'm grateful for the opportunity, happy with what I'm doing, and appreciative of the co-workers that I have. I am surrounded by conscientious, responsible team-players who also have an interest in learning. I like how some voluntarily studied the pre-written SQL scripts and come up with their own, or how they are willing to learn cross-disciplinary matters, or how they took up CFA Level 1 to add value to self. Noted that CFA Level 1 might not stand one in good stead among more elite candidates but a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

I feel somewhat pressurized to upgrade myself, seeing that they are so proactive and getting better at their craft. This is good pressure that drives me to strive for improvement. Positive vibes only. The past week without my mentor around was good exposure and put me to the test. Admittedly I still wouldn't be able to handle the more complex stuff, but at least I felt comfortable, not having to fight butterflies in my stomach every day. I understand that over-reliance on others will only impede on my progress in the quest of learning.

I didn't expect myself to feel sad when a colleague left the team approximately 2 weeks ago as our encounter lasted only about a month. He was an invaluable asset and I would probably have a lot to learn from him if he was still around. Anyway, glad that our paths crossed and I hope the rest of the team continue to be close-knitted and may we have lots of laughter as a whole. It's a bit difficult to control my sighs and my mentor has to constantly remind me not to do that. I think I shall work on that first - maybe do it more subtly and inconspicuously so that the people near me wouldn't hear them which will in turn create less negative energy. Haha.

Supposedly a half-day tomorrow but was told not to expect that. Oh wells. Last day of work before breaking off for CNY, let's go!

Comments

Popular Posts