C.A.N Collect and ICT

In early July, I volunteered for the Collect phase of Project C.A.N, a project under NUS Community Service Club. We were collecting dried foodstuff which will be distributed to residents living in 1 or 2-room flats in the Chinatown-Kreta Ayer area at a later phase. Daniel was in the organizing committee and he approached me as they needed volunteers. I wouldn't have signed up for it myself but I was glad I did although I did not sign up with anyone I know. Helping out a friend in need, doing a favour for the less advantaged, keeping myself occupied - I don't see why I shouldn't go for it. Was appointed as the group leader of a mix of NP and NUS students. It was sheer pleasure working with them as they were so proactive and cooperative. I thank them for listening to my words without complaints or show any look of resentment. As the group leader, my primary job was to tend the collection point, sieve out unwanted items, and pack the rest into boxes. I divided the 7 volunteers into 3 groups, and the division was clear, since a trio had known one another, similarly for a duo, thus leaving the last 2. Frankly I prefer tending to the collection point, not that I would mind having to go from door to door. However, they didn't require my help and we left our roles as they were. The day was slated to end at 6pm, but we were done by 4.30pm. Some had requested to leave early right from the start. I asked those who were free to stay back for a little while to play games, and they acceded to my request. I'm quite certain that our paths would not cross again, but this transient meeting will be etched in my mind.

I had my 3rd cycle of in-camp training and I must say that the event flow for this year's was much smoother compared to last year's. (Recalls a short rant in a post over a year ago). The highlight of this ICT was undoubtedly the Combat Shoot. It is a test of firing the SAR21 and the SAW, as well as teamwork and coordination. The average score of everyone in the shooting detail is taken to determine if they have achieved the marksman standard, attaining which implies a monetary reward of 200 bucks. We were the 6th detail, and first of 17 details to achieve that. Coincidentally, right before our shoot, the division commander paid us a rare visit and among many things, he mentioned "If you want people to remember you, be the first to achieve something." And yes we did just that. When we returned to the holding area after our shoot, many were looking on with a look of envy and admiration while we were beaming proud. It was one of those moments I felt that unity is strength. Having my comrades by my side to work towards a common goal helped to eliminate my lack of confidence. For Combat Shoot, when you miss a few shots, you can count on your comrades to help pull up the average. But personally, I am immensely elated that I have not let myself down because my individual score was sufficient to make the mark. I always put in my 100% (won't be superfluous and state 200% or something) especially in group endeavours because I hate being a burden to others. In army, one of the mantras is "Do it once, do it good". For the remaining 7 hours or so of staying at the range after our shoot, we were in a relaxed mood not having to be swept by the anguish of failure, the uneasy anticipation of a re-shoot, and the pressure to not falter in the next attempt. I am not always producing stellar results in shoots and can totally comprehend the feelings of having to re-shoot because I have personally experienced it before. Lastly, I felt that we were humble, and that is tantamount to achieving something great. This test of a concerted effort will definitely be documented as one of my best memories in army without questions.

After 4 years, I talked to Fazrul again, since we happened to be in the same bunk by some funny twist. He is a Christian and shared his experiences on his journey with God. He also answered my questions with much wisdom. I wouldn't say that he was preaching, since I listened and probed voluntarily. I am convinced by everything he had said, however, one thing I disagree with, is that an unanimously good person in the eyes of people around will still go to hell if he doesn't have faith in God. Like many others, I respect Fazrul for having such unwavering faith, but I am still having second thoughts going to Church with him because of his certain actions, such as blatant patronage. Turned out not that different from some of the people I've met...

Comments

Popular Posts