Chill Weekend

Met up with Waihou on Saturday evening with the intention of going through his essay together and help with the editing. I may not be the best person to approach or the best writer around (recollects that bloody B+ for ES1541), but I hope he receives a praiseworthy grade. Shall wait for the result to be out to see if our efforts paid off. Come to think of it, it had seemingly become our group project, as he kept using terms like "our essay".
Upon reaching Pasir Ris MRT/bus interchange, memories of BMT involuntarily flooded back into mind. It was the place where NS all began, and it was the place where we dragged our reluctant bodies and souls to book in to Tekong every Sunday. Cup Walker was still there, the bubble tea shop that the commanders used to tell us about. And the Shihlin food stall - where a bunch of us got our first comfort food fix upon stepping onto Mainland Singapore for the first time since enlistment. Not to mention the 7-11 where we would meet before falling in for the shuttle bus. White Sands was undergoing major revamp, and there weren't many options for dinner. We settled for Sushi Express. It was the 5th outlet I've patronized. I saved some stomach space for the Shihlin chicken cutlet, while seemingly ravenous Waihou ate 10+ plates. Even took the vegetable dish, which I didn't expect.
I love Waihou's flat. They don't need a fan or an air-conditioner (although there was one standing fan and one malfunctioned air-con) because natural wind blows all the time. You can see planes taking off and landing just by standing at the corridor. I would say that the flat is extremely well-situated. Wires and pipes are well-concealed. The house is spacious, simplistic, cozy, and has no signs of junk strewn around. There is a multitude of TV programmes available on mioTV, and the sofa was oddly extra comfortable. Waihou even has a walk-in wardrobe. It was my second time there but the first time was transient, so maybe I didn't take in all the wonders of the flat.
Ah, I finally got to see his full-fledged fish tank.

He had invested close to 4k over the course of 1 year+. Hasn't trimmed the plants for some time, so they are starting to grow awry. But that's some serious aquascaping there.

Damn professional - with such a huge filter, something to regulate carbon dioxide level, a feeder...and other apparatus in the cupboard.
When I saw his parents, his father shook hands with me - for the second time, but as if for the first. His mum asked if it was my first time there. I said second, and I could tell that she rummaged through her mind for that memory but to no avail. It was funny. Not surprising, considering the first time was over a year ago and we only met for a brief 2 minutes then. So we started working on the essay, and man, it took hours. The decision to stay over was a sudden one, because we wanted to finish the essay. By the time we were done it was nearly 1am. We then went to Geylang for some supper - that's the sheer convenience of having a car and a license. But obviously owning a car is especially financially taxing in Singapore. Back on track, by the time we returned, it was 3. Showered, slept, and woke at 9.
His mum woke him up when she saw me watching TV in the living room. Went to have breakfast at Changi Village Hawker Centre. The place is so far from home I never thought I'd ever go. Returned to Waihou's place to chill. I played 1 round of DotA. Totally noob shit. Should've gotten into it when my friend introduced it to me in 2005. Was it Warcraft? Actually I don't know the difference. I attempted 1 question for 1 of my many tutorials/homework. So productive. Lunch was at some coffee shop near Temasek Poly, one of the places he would hang out back in those days. Actually the highlight was the durian smoothie from A1 Penang Chendol. Blk 822, Tampines St 81 #01-186, Singapore 520822. It had durian flesh in it, and was really good. Then he drove me home, again.
First stayover at a friend's house (since around 17 years ago), was quite a good experience. Though the main point was for schoolwork, we had our fair share of fun.
Almost every song brings back a piece of memory. And for this, it shall be the one below. As of today, it is one of the top 10 most viewed YouTube videos of all time.



Now, time to get my lazy brain and hands moving for schoolwork.

Comments

Popular Posts