After Work Dinners and Weekends

Had several after work dinners the past month - Man Man Japanese Unagi, Dong Bei Ren Jia, Tsukiji Fish Market, and Nanjing Impressions. Did not enjoy Man Man as much as the first time. I found myself almost constantly drinking water to quench my thirst. Funny experience at Tsukiji saying yes to the waiter's recommendation of otoro sashimi without checking the price, and realising they cost an exorbitant 30 dollars for 3 small pieces. I particularly enjoyed the food at Dong Bei Ren Jia and Nanjing Impressions, which are both Chinese restaurants located in Chinatown and Plaza Singapura respectively. However, one thing in common is the conversations over these meals were equally great.

We had a team lunch on one of the afternoons this month, and I recommended DBRJ. It was stressful suggesting a place because tasty is subjective and it is difficult to satisfy everyone's tastebuds. But at least the dishes were wiped out, so even if they weren't up to expectations, at least they weren't too awful to swallow.

The last weekend was particularly eventful. Met up with Cindy, Jason, and Kai Ting for lunch, karaoke, card games, and dinner. Karaoke was at K War at CCK Stadium - an unlikely place to find a ktv. However, the sound system was good, and although it uses a remote app for song selection, the app is user-friendly and works smoothly. I really hope it gains enough popularity among the westies to keep operations going, because it really is a hidden gem. We've been revisiting Mind Cafe and PlayNation over the years, so we decided to play at the Settlers Cafe for a change. It was a good place with a wide array of game selection, big tables that are well-distanced from one another, and a comprehensive list of packages to cater to different wants. Dinner was at Tsui Wah, a renowned Hong Kong restaurant chain. The food were delicious but overpriced. Guess you can give it to try if you are craving for Hong Kong cuisine but have no opportunities to fly over anytime soon.

I can't believe people can actually queue 4 to 5 hours just to get a chicken cutlet at the pop-up Shihlin Market. I wouldn't have gone there if my mum hadn't expressed interest to go. In the end we only got ourselves sugar cane juice, and some pineapple cakes from Chia Te, since we couldn't be bothered to join any other queues. For this, I'd suggest you just fly over to Taiwan and try the authentic deals there. Went to Golden Mile Food Centre for the first time ever and savoured some good food. Will return to try the claypot rice which I failed to do as it was closed. And tried damn tasty fried chicken at an unassuming stall in Lucky Plaza - thanks Yi Jie. I tried hipster drip coffee at some cafe, and had another flat white at hipster CSHH. Both were bad. Have long heard of CSHH and really don't understand its hype. Or maybe I just don't have the kind of tastebuds those hipsters have.

Avengers: End Game, and GoT are the talk of the town these days. Personally, I'm not sure if I'll catch Avengers, but I'll definitely catch up on GoT sometime, probably after the season finale, then I can watch all the episodes back-to-back.

Comments

Popular Posts